About the Lodge
The Schoeman’s changed the name to Sportsman’s Lodge and they operated the lodge until September 1956. While owning the lodge, they added five more cabins and one RV site. Also during Bill & Clara’s years, REA brought electricity to the canyon giving 5 year contracts for use of the electricity. Bill and Clara Schoeman sold Sportsman’s Lodge in September of 1956 to Mac and Bernie McIaasc.
The McIaasc’s ran the lodge together until July 1972 when Mac passed away. Bernie decided to carry on running the business alone with hired help. Bernie made several improvements during the 36 years she owned the property, which included a modernized Cabin 11, building a modern bath/shower building, and adding several RV sites. In 1981, she had a two bedroom house built on the property. Bernie married Al Toms on November 3, 1988 and together they ran Sportsman’s Lodge until January 15, 1992 when they sold the property to John and Lee Ann Schenk.
John and Lee Ann ran the lodge for 13 years, renting the 12 cabins, several RV sites with full hook ups and running a small country store in the lodge building. John and Lee Ann decided to retire from the resort business and sold the property to Frank and Sharon Conley on April 29, 2005.
Frank and Sharon are presently operating Sportsman’s Lodge, offering one modern cabin and 11 semi-rustic housekeeping cabins. The small store offers groceries, gifts, fishing and camping supplies. Frank & Sharon also sell hunting and fishing licenses.
Around the Canyon